Friday 22 November 2013


My focus for Module 2 is “Helping shy learners with class involvement”

Why I have chosen this is actually a coincidence, well, I have a few slow and weak learners in my class who are my target group as well. One of the girls among them dragged my attention as I found her often drowsy and not attentive in the class. To my horror, I discovered that most of her work was incomplete or rather blank, this happened at the beginning of the year.


I was really upset with the situation but looking at her face I couldn’t get angry so I tried a different technique to start giving her focus and made her the group leader. Moreover I told her in front of the whole class that I have immense trust in her abilities and I believe that she will help her group perform well. As she belongs to the Low achievers group these statement worked well. To my surprise I have never seen her reluctant or drowsy ever after and most of the time she came up with her completed work personally. I could realize that she had built up responsibility but she couldn’t show it in front of the class so I made it a point to let the class know about her progress which really boosted her confidence.

In addition to this I had buddied her with a girl from the higher ability group that too her own choice so that she feels more comfortable to approach her. She normally helps her in assisting her to complete the task as well as to clarify her doubts with the instructions for activities and task. I could find her very much ease with her buddy and now she gives instructions to her group which is really a pleasure to observe.

This inspired me a lot, to get things more in place I took appointment with her parents and discussed with them about the steps they need to know in order to help her. They were happy as they saw good progress in her so I felt my plan worked. She has been quite consistent in her work thereafter coming up with extra piece of written work for the Literacy board which was amazing, I admire her effort. This gave me enough boost to work positively with the shy learners. Later on it was an added advantage when I discovered that our CICT module 2 has shy learners focus, Wow that was coincidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment